Vision and Mission Statement
We envision a tenable regional EMS and Trauma Care System with a plan that:
- Keeps patient care and interests the number one priority
- Recognizes the value of prevention and public education to decrease trauma/cardiac/stroke-related morbidity and mortality
- Preserves local integrity and authority in coordination with inter/intra-regional agreements
Through the Strategic Plan the West Region EMS and Trauma Care Council will work as a non-partisan facilitator, coordinator, and resource for regional EMS issues to achieve the Council mission.
Mission Statement: To assist and guide local EMS and trauma care providers in the coordination and improvement of emergency medical services and injury/illness prevention and public education in the West Region.
WA State Dept. of Health Meeting Schedules
Hospital Trauma Designations
Trauma facility designation information.
Prehospital Washington Administrative Code and Revised Code of Washington
Who We Are
West Region EMS & Trauma Care Council, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation. The Council is empowered by legislative authority (RCW 70.168.010-70.168.900) and WA State Dept of Health (DOH) Administrative Code (WAC 246.976) to plan, develop, and administer the EMS and trauma care system in the 4.5 counties that make up the Region: Grays Harbor, Lewis, N. Pacific, Pierce and Thurston. It is one of eight regional councils statewide and funded primarily through a contract with the Office of Emergency Medical and Trauma Prevention DOH.
The Council assists DOH in addressing four fundamental questions:
- What are the causes of trauma identified by communities within the West Region?
- Is trauma care readily available in the region?
- Is the system efficient and effective?
- What is needed to implement and/or improve the system?
The West Region EMS Strategic Plan details the Council's answers and recommendations. The plan seeks to continuously improve a model system that effectively treats and rehabilitates trauma victims. Preventing injury or reducing injury severity plays an important part. A fully functional trauma system addresses education, prevention, rapid communications, prehospital care, in-patient trauma care, rehabilitation, a trauma data registry and a quality improvement program. Our work is guided by the Council's Bylaws
The West Region EMS & Trauma Care Council is composed of representatives from hospitals, prehospital (EMT, paramedic, dispatch) agencies, local government and other interested parties. Members are nominated by their local EMS Council and appointed by the Secretary of the WA State Department of Health. Meetings are held quarterly at Thurston County Medic One, 2703 Pacific Ave SE # C, Olympia, WA 98501, Lacey, WA. Meeting Calendar.
FY18 West Region EMS & Trauma Care Council Executive Board Members:
- Chair: Norma Pancake
- Vice Chair: Sharryl Bell
- Secretary/Treasurer: Mary Campbell
- Adam Fulbright
- Anthony Kuzma
- Kathy Pace
- Patrick O'Neill
- Gregg Peterson
- Cynde Rivers
The West Region Council is actively recruiting for new members in all counties of the Region.
Contact the West Region office at 360-705-9019.
- Council Application
- Regional and local EMS and Trauma Care Council Resource Handbook
- Meeting Calendar
- National Incident Management System (NIMS) online training
- Open Public Meetings Act (OPMA) online training
Grays Harbor and North Pacific Counties
Medical Program Director, Daniel Canfield, DO 360-533-6038
Sharryl Bell, Grays Harbor EMS, 360-532-2067
2421 Sumner Ave, Aberdeen, WA 98520
Medical Program Director, Patrick O'Neill, MD 360-330-8516
Doug Fosburg, Fire Chief, Lewis County Fire Dist 3 360-983-3456
PO Box 127, Mossyrock, WA 98564
Medical Program Director, Clark Waffle, MD 253-798-7722
Norma Pancake, Pierce County EMS Coordinator 253-798-7722
2501 South 35th Street, Suite D, Tacoma, WA 98409
Medical Program Director, Larry Fontanilla, MD 360-704-2787
Kurt Hardin, Thurston County Medic One 360-704-2780
2703 Pacific Avenue SE, Suite C, Olympia, WA 98501
EMS Regions in WA State
There are eight EMS & Trauma Care Council regions in WA State:
- Central Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving King County
- East Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving Adams, Asotin, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens and Whitman counties
- North Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving Island, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish and Whatcom counties
- North Central Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving Chelan, Douglas, Grant, and Okanogan counties
- Northwest Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving Clallam, Jefferson, Kitsap and Mason counties
- South Central Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving Benton, Columbia, Franklin, Kittitas, Walla Walla and Yakima counties
- Southwest Region EMS and Trauma Care Council Serving Clark, Cowlitz, Klickitat, Pacific, Skamania and Wahkiakum counties