Injury Prevention And Public Education
Promote programs and activities that reduce preventable injuries, disability and premature death due to trauma.
2017-18 WREMS Prevention Grants Were Awarded to the Following:
- $3,000 to Lewis County Coroner for Water Safety Education
- $3,000 to Lewis County Fire Dist 3 for smoke detectors and fire safety education
- $1,200 to Lewis County Fire Dist 15 for smoke detectors and fire safety education
- $3,000 to Lewis County Fire Dist 15 for teen driver safety
- $3,000 to Lewis County Public Health for Naloxone
- $800 to Safe Kids Thurston County for a life jacket loaner cabinet
- $3,000 to South Beach Fire and EMS for water rescue equipment
- $3,000 to Westport Fire Dept for older adult fall prevention
Investing in Prevention Saves Lives and Money
- Cost of Childhood Injuries
- In 2013, motor vehicle crash deaths resulted in $44 billion in medical and work loss costs.
- Prevention saves lives and reduces disability. Fact Sheet.
Resources for Families
Where to Seek Help - early childhood support services in Thurston County.
Child Window Falls Prevention
- Window safety information from MultiCare Mary Bridge Children's Hospital
- Stop at 4 campaign
- Safety information from Safe Kids WA
- Child window fall prevention
- Window safety tips
- Purchase window safety devices at www.safebeginnings.com. Use discount code SKWA for 10 percent off
- Domestic and sexual violence prevention information from WA State Dept of Health. Learn More
- Violence Prevention information from the CDC
- Youth Violence Prevention technical package
- Shared risks and protective factors
Traumatic Brain Injury and Concussion
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Fact Sheet
- TBI management in Children
- Heads Up website and Facebook
- Brain Injury Alliance of WA resources
- TBI Information
Injury Prevention Resources
- WA State injury data tables
- National Violent Death Reporting System data
- WA State Injury and Violence Prevention Guide
- Harborview Injury Prevention and Research
- Resources and information from WA State Dept. of Health.
- The CDC website has a wealth of information on a wide variety of topics.
- FDCARES is a fire dept based injury prevention and community assistance program.
- Prevention works. Success Stories.
- Child Injuries are preventable. Protect the Ones You Love