Automobile and Bicycle Safety
COST OF MOTOR VEHICLE CRASH DEATHS
In 2013 in WA State, the cost of crash-related deaths was $654 million. Prevention saves lives and money
DISTRACTED AND IMPAIRED DRIVING
- Distracted driving information from NHTSA
- Distracted driving
- Fact sheet on alcohol related deaths, drunk driving and prevention strategies.
- Drinking and Driving
- What works to reduce impaired driving
KIDS AND BIKE SAFETY
CHILD PASSENGER SAFETY
- Free car seat inspections. Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians will inspect your car seat, assist in installations, and make sure your child is safe in your vehicle.
- The Ultimate Car Seat Guide
- Car seat safety tips from Safe Kids
- Child passenger safety resources from the CDC
- WA State Child Occupant Safety
NEVER LEAVE YOUR CHILD ALONE IN A CAR
Each year an average of 33 children die due to heatstroke after being left alone in a vehicle. These deaths are preventable.
- Even on a mild 70-degree day the temperature inside a car can rise 19 degrees in just 10 minutes.
- It only takes 10 minutes for a car to reach deadly temperatures
- Heat stroke in cars By the Numbers.
- Never leave a child unattended in a vehicle, even if the windows are open.
- Do not let your children play in an unattended vehicle. Teach them that a vehicle is not a play area.
- Keep a large teddy bear in the car seat when it's empty. Move the teddy bear to the front seat when you place the child in the car seat as a visual reminder.
- Make a habit of looking in the vehicle - front and back - before locking the door and walking away.
- If you are dropping your child off at childcare and normally it's your spouse or partner who drops them off, have your spouse or partner call you to make sure the drop went according to plan.
- Prevent child vehicular heatstroke
- Tip Sheet
- "Where's Baby? Look Before You Lock"
- Flyer. Also available in Spanish
YOUNG DRIVER SAFETY
- Teen Safe Driving
- Young driver safety
- Teen driving safety Resource Guide
- Learning to Drive
- Speaking Points for sharing facts and information on young driver safety
- Parents are the key to safe teen driving
- Teen driver facts
OLDER ADULTS AND DRIVING
- AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety
- WA Traffic Safety Commission
- Target Zero set a goal to reduce traffic crashes and deaths to zero by 2030.
- Parents Central from car seats to car keys
- WA State Dept of Transportation collision data summaries
- Car safety.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Governor's Highway Safety Assoc.
- Prevent motor vehicle related injury
- WA State Patrol
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety
- Motor vehicle safety information from the CDC.