Injury Prevention And Public Education
Promote programs & policies to reduce the incidence & impact of injuries, violence & illness.
2017 West Region EMS Conference Prevention Workshop
The 2017 West Region EMS Conference will be held Friday & Saturday, February 24 & 25, 2017, at the Ocean Shores Convention Center. The Conference includes a
Prevention Workshop which will be held Friday, February 24. Visit the Conference webpage for more information.
2016-17 WREMS Prevention Grants
2016 - 17 WREMS Prevention Grants have been awarded to
- $2,350 to Lewis County Fire Dist 5 for drowning prevention
- $3,000 to Lewis Fire Dist 15 for young driver safety
- $3,000 to Mary Bridge Children's Hospital for child window falls prevention
- $2,860 to Ocean Shores FD for jetty rescue equipment
- $2,540 to Pacific Lutheran University to develop an online map of exercise opportunities for older adults
- $1,889 to Pierce County Fall Prevention Coalition to install S.A.I.L. Trails and promote a fall prevention awareness event
- $800 to Safe Kids Thurston County to install a life jacket loaner cabinet
- $2,960 to Senior Services for South Sound for Tai Ji Quan: Moving for Better Balance
Community Resources for Families
Where to Seek Help is a resource tool that families can use to find early childhood support services in Thurston County.
Investing in Prevention Saves Lives and Money
Child Window Falls Prevention
Safe Sleep for Infants
The WA State Criminal Justice Training Commission, in partnership with Mary Bridge Childrens Hospital and the Snohomish County Prosecutor's Office have produced a training for first responders on safe sleep for infants. Video
- In the event of a fire every second counts, so you and your family must always be prepared. Escape plans help you get out of your home quickly.
- Draw a map of each level of your home and show all doors and windows. Have two ways out of each room. Make sure all doors and windows that lead outside open easily.
- Only purchase collapsible escape ladders evaluated by a recognized testing laboratory. Use the ladder only in a real emergency.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you cannot help them.
- Have a plan for everyone in your home who has a disability.
- Practice your fire escape plan at night and during the daytime
- US Fire Administration
- Fire Safety Information Center
- Every bedroom needs a working smoke alarm
Traumatic Brain Injury and Concussion
WA State Injury Data Tables
WA State injury data tables
Injury Prevention Resources